Monday, January 09, 2012

My Writing Resolutions for 2012

Everyone does it.  It's our dirty little secret.  Some of us share it with a few close friends and family members.  Some of us, myself included, never tell another living soul.

I'm talking about our New Year's Resolutions.

We've all made them.  We've all broken them.  That's why we don't like to display them for public consumption.

I don't mind failure.  In other words, it hurts, but it won't crush me or destroy my ambition to try again.  Granted, it took me a long time to get to this point.  When I was younger, my confidence was more fragile and I resisted trying to achieve anything I wasn't already sure I would succeed at.  Let me tell you, that attitude is very limiting.  And immature.  Thankfully, most of us grow out of it in time.

I make many of the same resolutions every year.  Eat healthy.  Exercise.  Watch less television.  I don't keep my resolutions for the entire year but the spirit of them lives on and I often go back to them and give it another go.  For instance, in the fall of 2011, I was taking my lunch to work every day in an effort to eat healthier, which was one of my resolutions for the year.  If you can believe it, I got better results in September than I ever did in January.  Go figure.

So, here are my New Year's Resolutions for 2012.  I will be tracking my progress over the course of the year(!).  Join me.  Make some of your own.  And keep track.  That's the only way to know what to do better next time.  'Cuz if you're like me, there will be a next time.

1) Write more (a perennial favourite)

2) Establish a regular blogging schedule (I'm thinking weekly)

3) Send out 100 queries to publishers and/or literary agents for my completed manuscripts

Easy, right?  I'll do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment